Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More power for Propeller Beacon

While I have enjoyed the few WSPR spots I have received:

I have received no QRSS or Opera spots at all.  There are times when I think (wishfully) that I see my 5 mW QRSS trace on remote grabbers, I have not been able to definatively say that I see my signal.  So, I think it is time to bring the power level up to a more respectable 10-20 dBm.

I have been scouting around for some interesting designs that I might actually have parts for.  I have a boatload of 2N7000 devices, so my focus has been in this area.  After some searching I have decided to try out the following design taken from the Wee Willy DSB rig described over on the "popcorn" site.

Don't know how well this is going to work out, but you never know until you try it, so off I go.  I am going to build this dead-bug style with a little Manhatten style thrown in for good measure.  I even went out and picked up a fresh super-glue tube.  Unfortunately, I got it home only to discover that it is a solid mass.  Rats...

So, I had to resort to Gorilla glue, unfortunately.  It will elongate my building time a bit as it takes a while to dry.  But we are building again after a long hiatus.

So, I will post the build progress and performance results as I go.  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment