Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Windows 10

So after 26 years at Microsoft, you would think I would welcome Windows 10.  Not so much.  Especially given I came home last evening and opened up my laptop to find it in the middle of an auto-magic update to Windows 10.

That being said, thus far the experience has been fairly seamless.  Everything was still where I left it and with the exception of the touch pad having some quirkiness I have not found any issues with windows or my installed base of applications.

The other advice I have for you if you decide (or have it decided for you) to install Windows 10 is to actually read that bloody license agreement.  Once you recover from that experience, do not take the automatic settings offered to you and actually go in and turn off the options to kindly share all you browse history, all your contacts, all your usage patterns and "other data" with my old employer and unnamed third parties.  Turn off Cortana unless you actually wish to have a live microphone transmitting everything said in the room to another unnamed third party.

Ok, so enough ranting.  I am now in the Windows 10 camp, wiping the slime off from the process of how I got here and more than slightly disgusted with the business practices of my former employer.

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely the FIRST person to register almost approval for this Windoze effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt. A couple other notes. All but one of my printer drivers survived the upgrade. My vinyl cutter printer driver had to be reinstalled, but afterwards works as expected. My laptop has a touch screen and I fully expected it to quit working, but no problems have been found. My issues are mostly with the process rather than the product. I am actually one of the weird people in the world that actually liked Windows 8.1. While I fully understand the issue of not wanting to support lots of windows version without limit, defaulting to an upgrade is at best pretentious and certainly leaves one feeling coated in slime.

    ReplyDelete